This course prepares you for work in a wide range of finance support roles (bookkeeping, payroll and tax) in any business environment. The knowledge and experience gained will give you the right start to progress your career in this area.
- Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4.
- Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
- CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English.
- All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
September to May.
€300 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €50). See fees & payment for details.
Fees status currently being updated for 2024/2025.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Business Studies 5M2102.
- QQI Component Maths (5N1833) – available as an option in the evening for learners needing Maths for progression).
Business Administration Skills - 5N1610
Examine a range of recruitment options for selecting and appointing staff and current employment rights legislation. Maintain a range of documents pertaining to HR management and employees including employment contracts, attendance records etc. Explore sources of finance for a business including cash-flow. Examine different types of meetings held and complete a range of documentation necessary for the effective function of a meeting. Explain the role of quality systems.
Accounting (Manual & Computerised) - 5N1348
Learn to prepare financial statements from trial balance and period end adjustments using both a manual accounting system and a computerised package. Produce a forecast financial statement with a forecast cash flow.
Communications - 5N0690
Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
Work Experience - 5N1356
Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
Taxation - 5N1421
Spreadsheet Methods - 5N1977
Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
Bookkeeping (Manual & Computerised) - 5N1354
Learn to record business transactions , post to ledgers and draw up a trial balance using both a manual accounting system and a computerised package.
Payroll (Manual & Computerised) - 5N1354
Process the payroll for employees using manual and computerised systems under the cumulative tax system to include gross pay, holidays, unpaid leave, credits etc. Learn about emergency and temporary tax systems and the subsequent transfer to the cumulative tax system. Extract information from completed records to prepare all necessary end-of-period and year-end returns and tax forms for the revenue commissioners.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING / WORKSHOPS
- Data Protection (online)
- Microsoft Outlook (online)
- Telephone Techniques (online)
WORK PLACEMENT / EXPERIENCE
Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in a business/industry environment. Work placement is a highly valued component of the student experience here at the college. An excellent opportunity for you to gain insight into the world of work. Students are encouraged to source their own Work Placement but you will be supported by the Work Placement team should you need assistance to do this.
EDUCATION PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES
Some of our popular progression opportunities include:
- UCC: CK201 Commerce L8, CK203 Business Information Systems, L8CK2 12 Applied Economics L8, CK213 Food Marketing & Entrepreneurship L8.
- MTU: MT550 Business L7 (Cork), MT551 Business Technology & Communication L7 (Cork), MT942 Accounting (Cork).
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and SETU (Waterford & Carlow) for preferential entry for students of Morrison’s Island locations. Go to our progressions database for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
Finance support roles (including accounting, taxation and payroll) in any business/office environment.