This course will provide you with the necessary skills and competencies in the area of business and enterprise start-up. It will help to develop your communication, critical thinking and teamworking skills in preparation for the world of work, self-employment or further education.
- Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4.
- Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
- CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English.
- All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
September to May.
€300 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €50). See fees & payment for details.
Fees status currently being updated for 2024/2025.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Business Studies 5M2102.
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as an option in the evening for learners requiring Maths for progression).
Entrepreneurial Skills - 5N1951
Learn the skills relevant to the theory and practice of entrepreneurship and adopt an entrepreneurial approach to business and or social innovation activities, operating independently while under general direction.
Start Your Own Business - 5N1418
Learn how to compile a business plan to enable you to start your own business.
Business Administration Skills - 5N1610
Examine a range of recruitment options for selecting and appointing staff and current employment rights legislation. Maintain a range of documents pertaining to HR management and employees including employment contracts, attendance records etc. Explore sources of finance for a business including cash-flow. Examine different types of meetings held and complete a range of documentation necessary for the effective function of a meeting. Explain the role of quality systems.
Spreadsheet Methods - 5N1977
Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
Digital Marketing - 5N1364
Choose appropriate e-tools to implement a digital marketing strategy. Plan a digital marketing campaign from inception to completion. Evaluate the effectiveness of campaigns using analytical e-tools. Outline the stages of analysis, development, implementation and control of digital marketing campaigns. Use e-tools including web analytics, social media monitoring, social bookmarking to monitor digital marketing campaigns.
Accounting (Manual and Computerised) - 5N1348
Get the knowledge, skill and competence to prepare financial statements for a range of organisations both manually and using integrated accounting software.
Communications - 5N0690
Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
Work Experience - 5N1356
Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING / WORKSHOPS
- Revas Software – is a business simulation game designed to teach participants how to run a business. As part of the process players set up an enterprise and make real business decisions by managing their virtual companies. Learners acquire knowledge and skills during virtual gameplay without the real-life risk.
- Data Protection (online training) – This course gives learners an overview of GDPR. The course examines what GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data. A record of achievement from Morrison’s Island Campus is issued on successful completion.
- Enabling Entrepreneurship (in association with Junior Achievement Ireland) – This programme cultivates student entrepreneurial thinking and mind-set. It introduces students to the elements of a successful business start-up and facilitates participants to develop their own product/service and business plan. A common goal of entrepreneurship education is to strengthen our value orientation for a sustainable society thus challenging students to look at the world around them.
- Enterprise event/ Guest Speakers – An Enterprise event is held annually with talks and workshops from the LEO (Local Enterprise Office), MTU Rubicon Centre, and local entrepreneurs who share their experience with students about their journey. Throughout the year speakers from business and industry visit the college and share insights about the changing landscape of business and commerce and how best to prepare for the future of work.
- Individual support available to build digital skills – Workshops and one-to-one support are offered to students around digital skill development. There is a thorough introduction to our on-line learning platform at the beginning of the academic year, and further support during the year on all aspects of Office 365 and any other packages being used.
What is the timetable?
The course runs over 5 days [Monday to Friday]. Exact details of the timetable will be available prior to class commencement in September.
What is the situation if I am a mature student (over 21)?
Mature applicants are very welcome, experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
What can I do after this course?
Guidance sessions will be available in the first term.
- Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Administration and Business (Morrison’s Island Campus).
- Bachelor of Business Studies (MTU) – Year 1 you can apply through the CAO or through the CCPS (Cork Colleges Progression Scheme).
There are several other links detailed on the website, under Progressions on our website.
Are foundation level English, Maths and LCA accepted?
Yes, Foundation level English, Maths and LCA are accepted but please be aware that they may not satisfy the Maths requirement for progression to Munster Technological University (MTU).
What will I do about work experience?
Work Experience will be scheduled for a two-week block. You will be given an induction and information regarding this when you start.
What can I do to satisfy MTU's Maths requirement?
The college offers a course in Level 5 QQI Maths after school (at an extra cost). Information regarding this course will be available from the Career Guidance Counsellors.
WORK PLACEMENT / EXPERIENCE
Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in a business/industry environment. Work placement is a highly valued component of the student experience here at the college. An excellent opportunity for you to gain insight into the world of work. Students are encouraged to source their own Work Placement but you will be supported by the Work Placement team should you need assistance to do this.
EDUCATION PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES
Some of our popular opportunities include:
- Morrison’s Island Campus: Progress to one of the Morrison’s Island Campus Advanced Business Specialisms, subject to entry requirements being met.
- MTU Cork: Business (MT550).
- MTU Cork: Marketing (MT943).
- UCC: Commerce (CK201).
- MIC: Education, Business Studies & Accounting (M1009).
- MIC: Education, Business Studies & Religious Studies (M1010).
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and SETU (Waterford & Carlow) for preferential entry for students of Morrison’s Island locations. Go to our progressions database for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
Graduates from this programme will be well placed to either seek employment in a business setting or to use their entrepreneurial skills to establish their own business.