This course builds on business/legal knowledge and skills already attained from a Level 5 related programme. Its multidisciplinary nature provides students with a broad subject base which will allow them to further develop their skills as a legal administrator. Students continue with more expertise in legal subjects coupled with subjects like professional presentation and marketing which lend themselves to being an indispensable member of the team in a legal office.
- Full QQI level 5 award in Business Studies/Administration or other relevant award. It is desirable that Spreadsheet Methods is included.
- All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
September to May.
€330 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €80). See fees & payment for details.
Fees status currently being updated for 2024/2025.
- QQI Advanced Certificate in Business (6M4985).
- QQI Component Maths (5N1833) – available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression.
Business Management - 6N4310
Understand the role and function of management in a business environment. Gain a detailed picture of the management of planning, organising and controlling. Develop effective management skills such as leadership and communications.
Work Experience - 6N1946
Present a detailed personal skills audit and career plan including personal goals, action points, development opportunities and career paths. Demonstrate supervisory skills and capacities in the workplace.
Communications - 6N1950
Builds on the core communications skills gained at level 5 while allowing the learner, working independently and or in a supervisory capacity, to develop such qualities as tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience necessary for communicating with staff/clients in a professional setting.
Business Law - 6N4045
Develops an understanding of the important legal issues which may arise in the modern commercial environment. Explore a diverse range of commercial legal topics including company, consumer and property law.
Managing People - 6N3945
The learner will be equipped with the knowledge, skill and competence to develop standards, measure performance, motivate and empower staff while working in a supervisory role.
Spreadsheets - 6N4089
Develop an advanced working knowledge using multiple worksheets, formulas and functions in a Spreadsheet application for many practical uses at work and at home.
Employment Law - 6N4322
Evaluate the role of employment legislation and institutions in combatting discrimination and harassment to promote equality in the workplace. Apply a comprehensive range of specialised skills and tools to the contract of employment for a range of employee categories/scenarios including terms and conditions, pay and pension etc. Understand collective bargaining and evaluate the role and function of labour relations institutions and trade unions.
Professional Presentation - 6N4006
Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence of presentation software and communication skills that can be used in a business and training environment.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING / WORKSHOPS
- Enterprise event / Guest Speakers – An Enterprise event is held annually with talks and workshops from the LEO (Local Enterprise Office), MTU Rubicon Centre, and local entrepreneurs who share their experience with students about their journey. Throughout the year speakers from business and industry visit the college and share insights about the changing landscape of business and commerce and how best to prepare for the future of work.
- Individual support available to build digital skills – Workshops and one-to-one support are offered to students around digital skill development. There is a thorough introduction to our on-line learning platform at the beginning of the academic year, and further support during the year on all aspects of Office 365 and any other packages being used.
What are the entry requirements?
A full QQI Level 5 award in Business Studies/Administration or other relevant award. It is desirable that you have L5 Spreadsheet Methods successfully completed.
What if I am a mature student (over 21)?
Mature applicants are also welcome. We suggest that they start with a L5 qualification unless they have recently been in education. Experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
What is the situation with work experience L6?
Students will have Fridays as their allocated work experience day. They are to secure a placement prior to commencement and will be given more information on what is required on commencement.
What is the cost of the course?
€330 made up of €250 Student Services Fee* + €80 Exam Fee.
* All students who are holders of a Medical Card are exempt from paying the €80 exam charge.
WORK PLACEMENT / EXPERIENCE
Students will undertake work experience one day per week in a business/administration setting for the duration of the course. Work placement is a highly valued component of the student experience here at the college. An excellent opportunity for you to gain insight into the world of work. Students are encouraged to source their own Work Placement but you will be supported by the Work Placement team should you need assistance to do this.
EDUCATION PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES
Some of our popular progression opportunities include:
- UCC: Law (CK301).
- MTU Cork: Business (MT550) – Year 2 entry.
- MTU Kerry: Business (MT941) – Year 2 Entry.
Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and SETU (Waterford & Carlow) for preferential entry for students of Morrison’s Island locations.
Go to our progressions database for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
Legal secretary, legal researcher, paralegal work and general administration.