Do you see Holistic Therapies as a way to enhance general health and wellbeing? Are you interested in the human body? As a Holistic Therapist you will use therapies to enhance the mind, body, and soul. Learners explore the diversity of Holistic Therapies. They receive a firm grounding in many therapies, the course will gives practical skills and a detailed understanding of a holistic approach to health therapies. The course provides the professional training that can enable you to pursue a career in a variety of Holistic Therapy settings, and great opportunities to work with our Internationally recognised ITEC qualifications.
- Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4.
- Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
- CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English.
- All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
September to May.
€847.50. Other fees not payable to the college include approximate material fees of €250 for uniform, kit, towels, paid directly to suppliers. See fees & payment for details.
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Holistic Massage 603/4097/6 (2132).
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology Treatments 603/4093/9 (2130).
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage 603/4502/9 (2353).
- ITEC Level 3 Award in Massage using Pre-Blended Aromatherapy Oils 603/4066/6 (2190).
- ITEC Level 3 Certificate in Stone Therapy Massage 603/4084/8 (2141).
Anatomy & Physiology ITEC
Anatomy is the study of the structures associated with the human body. Physiology is the study of the function of each of these structures. The human body is often thought of as a complicated machine. We study it as part of knowing how the body work in relation to the practical aspect of the holistic therapies.
Professional Conduct & Business Awareness ITEC
Learn about elements required for the work place and when running a business, subjects include business, health & safety, retail selling, marketing and advertising, finance, professionalism and communication skills.
Holistic Massage ITEC
Learn classical Swedish massage techniques to treat physical and psychological problems by manipulating soft tissue/muscles for therapeutic purposes.
Practice a therapy working on the feet to treat the whole body by manipulating reflexes that corresponds with organs of the body, right foot /right side of body, left foot left side of body and learn the theory underpinning the practice of reflexology.
Sports Massage ITEC
Level 3 Sports Massage enables learners to acquire the theoretical knowledge and practical skills to provide Massage to enhance sports performance and prevent injury.
This therapy enables the learner to gain practical and theoretical skills in order to provide massage using pre blended Aromatherapy oils. The students learn to choose the correct pre-blended aromatherapy oil to suit the client’s specific treatment needs and skin type.
Stone Therapy ITEC
Stone Therapy Massage is very popular treatment in spas and clinics providing clients with a massage using hot and cold stones. This wonderful treatment provides clients with a very relaxing and calming experience for both mind body and spirit.
QQI Level 4 Environmental Sustainability Awareness 4N21810
ADDITIONAL TRAINING / WORKSHOPS
- First Aid Workshop (online) – This First Aid workshop will introduce the learner to the principles of First Aid. threat to life. A record of achievement from Morrison’s Island Campus is issued on successful completion.
- Manual Handling Training and Certification – Manual handling training is required under Regulation 13 of the 1993 (General Application Regulations) and 1993 Manual Handling Regulations. This training programme is aimed at providing all persons at work with proper techniques when lifting, carrying, loading, pushing and supporting. It provides employees with good work practices such as proper lift Manual Handling Techniques. The course includes being aware of the necessity for safe methods of manual handling to reduce the risk of injury and understanding the need to avoid manual handling by using mechanical aids where possible. Furthermore, assessing the task using the TILE criteria (task, individual, load, environment) and implementing the correct method of lifting ensuring minimal risk to self and co-workers will also be included. Finally, knowing how to safely execute all relevant workplace manual handling tasks will be demonstrated. A certificate will be issued to learners who successfully complete the course.
- Ear Candling – Ear candling, also called ear coning or thermal-auricular therapy, is the practice used to improve general health and well-being of the ear with the use of special Bees wax Candles by lighting one end of a hollow candle and placing the other end in the ear canal.
- Lomi Lomi – Lomi lomi is a traditional Hawaiian massage that uses a combination of massage techniques, to restore energy and soothe the body. It is also known as the ‘loving hands’ massage. This name helps to explain its principles – the massage works gently yet deeply into the muscles with continuous, flowing strokes, allowing the recipient to relax and give in to the nurturing touch.
What hours are involved?
The course is full time and runs Monday to Thursday potentially from 9-5pm, 9am-2pm Friday’s with both theory and practical classes each day. However, class timetables vary and may be scheduled over 3, 4 or 5 days. Starting times may be later than 9.00am and finishing times may be earlier than 5.00pm.
Individual class timetables are not available until Induction (usually 1st or 2nd week in September).
Is this course offered part-time as a night class?
This full-time day course has many Therapies, so by night as a part-time course you can only do one Therapy either Holistic Massage or Reflexology one night per week. Email email@example.com.
How long is the full-time day course?
The duration of the full-time day course is one academic year, typically form mid-September until mid-May. The college closes for Mid-term, Christmas and Easter holidays as determined by the Department of Education and Skills.
Am I qualified to work as a Holistic Therapist if I do this course?
Yes, if you graduate from our Holistic Therapy course, you are fully qualified to enter industry straight away. There are a myriad of career options e.g. fulltime work and or/ownership of a clinic, in a Beauty Salon giving holistic treatments, on Cruise liners, Sales representative, Self-employed Free-lance Therapist, In Spa Industry, Health Farms.
Other advantages of studying Holistic Therapies in Cork College of FET – Morrison Island Campus:
- As well as Internationally recognised qualifications in Holistic Massage, Reflexology, Aromatherapy, Sports Massage therapist, Stone Therapist.
- You will work with professional products for Aromatherapy.
- It’s a very busy course and on a Rota basis we run a work experience clinic on Friday’s in the college which is of great benefit when working in industry.
How is the course assessed?
ITEC/VTCT (International Therapies Examinations Council). These qualifications are recognised world-wide so you can travel with your qualifications and skills. The course is assessed through a combination of coursework (case studies, assignments, learner records ). Also, ITEC have Examinations including practical & theory exams in May of each year. Theory exam are online, Practical exams assessed by external examiner from ITEC.
Will I get a place in a 3rd level course if I do this course?
Many of our students each year progress to 3rd level courses. However, there is no guarantee of a place. Students apply through the CAO using their QQI level 5 results therefore students need to work hard in order to achieve the best possible results. However, There are limited progression places available. These QQI points are valid for any third level course of your choice.
WORK PLACEMENT / EXPERIENCE
Students work in the college salon during the year.
EDUCATION PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES
Some of our popular progression opportunities include:
- ITEC Level 3 Award in Education and Training.
- ITEC Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training.
Go to our progressions database for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
Spas, salons, health farms, self-employed professional, cruise ships.