Have you got a flair for beauty and a desire to work in a spa or salon? If so, this ITEC and QQI accredited course will provide you with the basic skills and techniques needed to work as a therapist or in the retail sector of the beauty industry. You will receive the best training in Skincare, Facials, Eye Treatment, Make Up, Manicures, Pedicures, Waxing, Massage and Facial electrical treatments in our state of the art facilities. You will be working with top class products and have access to masterclasses and workshops.
- Leaving Cert, LCA or QQI Level 4.
- Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
- CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English.
- All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
September to May.
€697 including ITEC and QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €50). Other fees of €585 for uniforms and kits is paid directly to suppliers on registration day. All kits should be bought before commencement of classes. See fees & payment for details on course requirements payments.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Beauty Therapy (5M3471).
- ITEC Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Specialists 603/4034/4 (2247).
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Facial Electrical Treatments 603/4052/6 (2247).
Anatomy and Physiology - 5N0749
Learn the structure of the various systems within the human body e.g. digestive, system, respiratory system, nervous system, skeletal system etc. and how they work. Develop an understanding of the interrelationships that exit between these systems.
Body Massage and Figure Analysis - 5N3465
Learn classical Swedish massage techniques to treat a range of physical and physiological issues. Carry out figure analysis to include understanding different body types and the calculation of body mass index.
Communications - 5N0690
Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
Manicure, Pedicure and Waxing - 5N3467/ITEC
Learn & develop waxing skills to remove hair using hot and warm wax methods and treatments of the natural nail of the hands and feet – to include filing, cuticle care, exfoliation, massage, and nail painting. Whilst also studying the related knowledge and understanding required to perform these treatments safely & effectively including the structures you’re working over, recognition of skin, nail & hair types, skin, hair and nail diseases & disorders and reasons that may affect whether a client should or should not be treated.
Beauty Therapy Industry Ethics and Practice - 5N3470
Provides students with an understanding of business practices such as Sales, Marketing, Insurance and Finance. Also covers Health and Safety issues as well as Ethics within the beauty industry. Develop an understanding of the importance of communication to maintain positive, professional working relationships.
Skincare Eye Treatments and Make-Up - 5N3466/ITEC
Explore all areas of skincare & eye treatments to include: skin analysis, skincare, facial procedures, specialised products, eyelash tinting, eyebrow tinting & shaping and makeup for special occassions.
Facial Electrics - 5N3468/ITEC
Learn how to incorporate machines into a facial treatment for enhanced results e.g. galvanic and high frequency, steam and vacuum suction, faradic EMS and micro-current machines.
Work Experience - 5N1356
Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practice employability skills with a view to future planning. Work placement will be a 2-week block placement.
Professional Conduct & Business Awareness ITEC
Learn about elements required for the work place and when running a business, subjects include business, health & safety, retail selling, marketing and advertising, finance, professionalism and communication skills.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING / WORKSHOPS
- Phorest Salon Software Certificate – Phorest Salon Software is an all-in platform that helps salon owners manage their appointments, clients, stock, and staff. It also has key features for marketing and social media to enable a salon to grow to its full potential. At Morrison’s Island Campus, we offer our learners an introductory course in this software. This includes how to manage appointments and therapists, couple and group bookings. Additionally, beauty salon consultation forms, customer tracking, beauty salon marketing and selling and purchasing are also included. A record of achievement from Morrison’s Island Campus is issued on successful completion.
- First Aid Workshop (online) – This First Aid workshop will introduce the learner to the principles of First Aid. A record of achievement from Morrison’s Island Campus is issued on successful completion.
- Microsoft Outlook (online)
- Data Protection (online)
- Digital Marketing (online)
- Telephone Etiquette (online)
- Mindfulness (online)
- We also offer students the opportunity to avail of a range of optional courses such as Threading, Gel Polish, Lash Lift & Brow Lamination, Lash Extensions, HD Brows, Spray Tanning etc. subject to demand.
What qualifications will I get at the end of the year?
Students will receive the following qualifications if they pass all exams:
- ITEC Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Specialists.
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Facial Electrical Treatments.
- QQI Level 5 Beauty Therapy Award.
When will I get an offer of a place if I am successful?
Applicants who complete and return the processing form before 1st June will receive offers of a place before June 3rd. All applications made over the summer will be processed in August and applicants will be notified late August/early September.
Is there a lot of theory on the course?
Yes, there is a lot of theory to learn. There are 27 hours of timetabled classes per week, 13 hours of which are for theory.
What are the entry requirements?
Leaving Cert standard (regular Leaving Cert or LCA) for students under 21 years of age. Experience in the area or a genuine passion for the beauty industry would be beneficial for mature students.
What options are available to me if I complete the course?
What do I need to do to get a place on the course?
Apply through our website www.morrisonsislandcampus.ie and complete the online application form. You will subsequently be sent a processing form with a series of questions to complete eg reasons for applying for the course etc.
How long does the course run for?
The course will run from September to May. It is a full-time day course with classes timetabled for 5 days a a week.
Is Biology an entry requirement?
Biology is not an entry requirement though it is an advantage to have studied it for Leaving Cert as there is a lot of Anatomy & Physiology on the course.
Is there work experience on this course?
Yes, students complete the QQI Level 5 Work Experience module and will go on a 2-week block work placement during the year. Students are asked to find their own work placement where possible.
Are there any other costs involved?
Yes, students will be required to purchase 2 uniforms and kits (waxing, skincare/body and make up) as well as textbooks, which cost approximately €585 in total. These amounts are payable directly to the suppliers and the amounts are subject to change.
WORK PLACEMENT / EXPERIENCE
Students undertake a block work placement for 2 weeks in a beauty related environment e.g. beauty salon or hotel spa.
Work placement is a highly valued component of the student experience here at the college. An excellent opportunity for you to gain insight into the world of work. Students are encouraged to source their own Work Placement but you will be supported by the Work Placement team should you need assistance to do this.
EDUCATION PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES
Some of our popular progression opportunities include:
- Morrison’s Island Campus: CIDESCO Beauty Therapy Diploma.
- MTU Kerry: Health & Leisure (MT911).
- MTU Kerry: Health & Leisure with Massage (MT912).
- TUS (Limerick): Business Studies in Beauty & Spa Management (US946).
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and SETU (Waterford & Carlow) for preferential entry for students of Morrison’s Island locations. Go to our progressions database for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
Hotel spas/salons, cruise liners, self employed professional, pharmacies, department store beauty counters.