If you are an organised person and would love to work in administration in a busy doctors, dentists, hospital or other healthcare environment then this course is perfect for you. The admin team member in these environments is the person who sensitively deals with vulnerable clients to ensure that they are professionally dealt with. If you can see yourself in that role then this is the right course for you.
- Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4.
- Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
- CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English.
- All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
September to May.
€300 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €50). See fees & payment for details.
Fees status currently being updated for 2024/2025.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Business Administration 5M2468.
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression).
Business Administration Skills - 5N1610
Examine a range of recruitment options for selecting and appointing staff and current employment rights legislation. Maintain a range of documents pertaining to HR management and employees including employment contracts, attendance records etc. Explore sources of finance for a business including cash-flow. Examine different types of meetings held and complete a range of documentation necessary for the effective function of a meeting. Explain the role of quality systems.
Bookkeeping Manual and Computerised - 5N1354
Word Processing - 5N1358
Communications - 5N0690
Work Experience - 5N1356
Spreadsheet Methods - 5N1977
Text Production - 5N1422
Medical Terminology - 5N2428
Database Methods - 5N0783
Socrates Medical Package
Morrison’s Island Campus – Infection Prevention and Control
ADDITIONAL TRAINING / WORKSHOPS
- Microsoft Outlook (online) – The Microsoft Outlook course demonstrates how to use the internet to compose, send, receive and store electronic mail to include attaching a file to an email and managing email folders. It also facilitates the learner to explore areas related to browser-based email systems including demonstrating the use of at least one current email software package for example: compose, send, receive, reply, forward, print, store electronic messages and open file attachments, attach a file to an email message and create and manage mailboxes and transfer messages to and from relevant mailboxes. Furthermore, learners develop an appreciation of email etiquette as regards: content, length, style and tone of composed messages and they set up a web-based email account. A record of achievement from Morrison’s Island Campus is issued on successful completion.
- Data Protection (online) – This Data Protection course gives learners an overview of GDPR. The workshop examines what GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data. A record of achievement from Morrison’s Island Campus is issued on successful completion.
What hours are involved?
Our courses are full-time, classes are timetabled Monday to Friday.
How is the course assessed?
What are the course fees?
Are there job opportunities?
Will I get a place in a 3rd level course if I do this course?
WORK PLACEMENT / EXPERIENCE
Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in an office environment. Work placement is a highly valued component of the student experience here at the college. An excellent opportunity for you to gain insight into the world of work. Students are encouraged to source their own Work Placement but you will be supported by the Work Placement team should you need assistance to do this.
EDUCATION PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES
Some of our popular progression opportunities include:
- Morrison’s Island Campus: Progress to one of the Morrison’s Island Campus Advanced Business Specialisms, subject to entry requirements being met.
- MTU Cork: Business (MT550).
- MTU Cork: Business Technology & Communications (MT551).
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and SETU (Waterford & Carlow) for preferential entry for students of Morrison’s Island locations. Go to our progressions database for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
Medical and Dental Administration and Reception, general practices, hospital and care facilities. Former students have been employed in Primary Care Centres and other large and small health related environments.