Many local employers provide work experience opportunities to our students. Some partake in work experience throughout the academic year, others partake in block placement ranging from 2 – 4 weeks. While on placement all students are fully insured by the college. Students are advised and encouraged to find their own placement, simulating real life, but (for level 5 courses) the placement may be centrally organised by college staff.
Work experience facilitates people beginning in, or returning to a workplace environment. It also aids future employment opportunities as contacts made are for life! Employers may use work experience as a way of recruitment as they meet and see how a person fits in and contributes to their organisation.
The college continuously liaises with industry and potential employers to keep our courses up to date and ensure that our courses are fit for purpose.
- When looking for a job after you qualify previous work experience is essential and can be used as a reference by future employers.
- Unsure about your career choice? Work experience allows you to see if you would like doing a job on a day-to-day basis.
- As well as working in a real work environment you meet people who are already working in the area and can ask them questions about the job.
- You can also see and learn about related jobs in the same field, which offers you more ideas about what kind of career you might choose.
- Gaining work experience in your chosen area shows future employers that you are interested in working in the industry.
- Gives insight into a particular organisation that you may be interested in working in after you qualify.
- Work experience in different areas helps you to make a decision if you are unsure about which direction to take.
- It is a great introduction to the world of work – you gain new skills and knowledge, meet new people and learn to deal with different situations.
- You will see and understand your personal strengths and weaknesses by undertaking work experience.
- You may get a job from work experience, an employer may see you as someone who fits in well in the organisation.
- Even if you do not get a job you meet people in the industry and form valuable contacts.
- It will enhance and add weight to your CV!