- Tourism Principles and Practice 5N2078 – National and International Tourism. Understand the tourist product of Ireland as a unique destination and how to promote and sell it. Identify a range of international and national tourist attractions. Learn about tourist profiles and how they impact on tourist markets. Extensive field trips and site visits are an integral part of this component.
- Tourism Information and Administration 5N0636 – Work independently in a tourist information office or in the front office of a range of tourism enterprises. Emphasis on providing advice to visitors on coaches, walking tours, places of interest etc.
- Travel Agency Service Skills 5N4970 – Products and services offered by travel agencies. Market research for travel agency. Customer needs and customer focus. Develop a holiday package tailored for specific customer requirements.
- Global Distribution Systems 6N4973 -Make and amend airline reservations using the Amadeus system which is used by travel agencies and airlines throughout Ireland and the world
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Plan, prepare and reflect on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Spanish 5N1630 – A communicative approach to business Spanish, with a focus on the tourism industry, which incorporates the 4 skills of reading, writing, speaking, and listening, underpinned by an introduction to Spanish culture.
- Irish Cultural & Heritage Resources 5N1293 – This component provides students with an understanding of Irelands heritage and cultural offering and the stakeholders involved in this sector. Student visit heritage sites, critically evaluate them and complete a portfolio of site evaluations. Students must also research heritage and cultural events.
- Word Processing 5N1358 – Create and edit documents to a professional standard. Utilise Memos and Mailmerge for streamlining customer communication
- Students participate in a number of trips to heritage sites in Cork City and throughout Ireland. Previously, students have visited The Burren, Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Swiss Cottage, The Cliffs of Moher, Nano Nagle Place, Elizabeth Fort, St. Finbarr’s Cathedral and Cork City Gaol.
- Students are encouraged to participate in adventure tourism at Kinsale Outdoor Education Centre.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Cert requirements. CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English. All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- MTU Cork: Tourism Management Level 7 (MT552)
- MTU Cork: Tourism Management Level 8 (MT947)
- UCC: Arts Level 8 (CK101)
- Morrison’s Island Campus: Progress to 1 of Morrison’s Island Campus: Advanced Business Specialisms, subject to entry requirements being met.
Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and SETU(Waterford & Carlow) for preferential entry for students of Morrisons Island locations. See Progressions for details.
Previous students have gained employment as tour operators, tourist office staff, tour guides, receptionists in hotels, conference/event organisers, customer service agents, cruise liner personnel and airport staff.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €50). See Payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Tourism with Business 5M5011
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
- Amadeus Certificate and a package holiday booking system qualification awarded by the International Academy of Travel
- Work Experience: Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in a tourist environment e.g. travel agencies, tour operators, ferry companies, airlines, heritage attractions and the hospitality industry