Do you aspire to have a career in the world of Nails and Beauty? This expanding inustry needs good therapists. In this course you have the opportunity to achieve a wide variety of training skills dealing with specialist nail technician treatments. Release your artistry flair and produce superb nail looks that will allow you to become an attractive prospect for employers as well as having the opportunity to become self-employed.
- Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4.
- Mature applicants are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
- CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English.
- All applicants will need to demonstrate an interest in Nails at interview and must bring with them a portfolio of some nail work completed by them as evidence of their interest. This should include at least 5 photographs of nails painted by the interviewee. All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
September to May.
€498 – this cost includes ITEC and QQI examination fees (Medical card holders exempt from €20). Approx €850 for kits, uniforms etc., which will be paid directly to suppliers on registration day. See fees & payment for details. Please note that all fees shown are for the 2022/2023 academic year and will be updated in the New Year for 2023/2024.
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology 603/4040/X (2142).
- ITEC Level 2 Certificate in Nail Art 603/4054/X (2128).
- QQI Level 5 Component Certificates in Work Experience (5N1356), Skin Care, Eye Treatments & Make-Up (5N3466).
Nail Technology / Nail Art (Theory and Practical) - ITEC
Manicure, Gel polish application, Pedicure, Acrylic nails, Gel nails, Nail wraps i.e. silks/fibreglass, Sculptured nails, Nail Art for natural nails.
Professional Conduct & Business Awareness - ITEC
Learn about elements required for the work place and when running a business, subjects include business, health & safety, retail selling, marketing and advertising, finance, professionalism and communication skills.
Skin Care, Eye Treatments and Make-Up - 5N3466
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to work autonomously and independently in carrying out skincare and eye treatments and in applying make-up.
Work Experience - 5N1356
Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING / WORKSHOPS
- Phorest Salon Software Certificate – Phorest Salon Software is an all-in platform that helps salon owners manage their appointments, clients, stock, and staff. It also has key features for marketing and social media to enable a salon to grow to its full potential. At the College, we offer our learners an introductory course in this software. This includes how to manage appointments and therapists, couple and group bookings. Additionally, beauty salon consultation forms, customer tracking, beauty salon marketing and selling and purchasing are also included. A record of achievement from Morrison’s Island Campus is issued on successful completion.
What hours are involved?
The course is full time and runs Monday to Thursday potentially from 9-5pm and on Fridays from 9-2pm. One of these days will be assigned as your work experience day.
How is the course assessed?
We use two Federations as the Qualifying bodies for the Course, QQI – Quality and Qualifications Ireland, Level 5 and ITEC/VTCT International Therapies Examinations Council. These qualifications are recognised world-wide so you can travel with your qualifications and skills. The course is assessed through a combination of coursework (projects, assignments, learner records and portfolios). Also, ITEC have Examinations including practical & theory exams portfolio work in December and May of each year.
How much does the course cost?
There are no teaching fees for this course, however fees for examinations bodies, books, kits, uniforms etc are required .
These vary from year to year but come to a total of approximately €1,000.
Am I qualified to work as a nail technician if I do this course?
Yes, if you graduate from our Nail Technician Diploma course, you are fully qualified to enter industry straight away. There are a myriad of career options e.g. Fulltime work and or/ownership of a Nail Bar, Nail Technician in a Beauty Salon, on Cruise lines, working directly for a Nail Product brand, Trainer for a Nail Brand, Sales representative, Self-employed Free-lance Nail Technician, Media Nail Technician e.g. for photographic shoots in magazines, Advertising campaigns, Music videos, films, the list goes on…
Other advantages of Nail Technician in Cork College of FET - Morrison's Island Campus
- As well as Internationally recognised qualifications in Nail Technician, students also complete modules in work experience, Skincare, Business, Phorest Salon packages, etc which gives a complete skill-set for the workplace ahead.
- You will work with professional products chosen and supplied by Industry Artistry specialists.
- It’s a very busy course with full interaction with Industry specialists in all classes.
Will I get a place in a 3rd level course if I do this course?
Many of our students each year progress to 3rd level courses. However, there is no guarantee of a place. Students apply through the CAO using their QQI level 5 results therefore students need to work hard in order to achieve the best possible results. However, There are limited progression places available. These QQI points are valid for any third level course of your choice. There are currently no higher qualification in Nail technician than Diploma Level, but other relevant options are available e.g. Business
WORK PLACEMENT / EXPERIENCE
Students undertake a work placement one day a week in a nail bar/beauty therapy environment, which they organise themselves.
EDUCATION PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES
This course is geared towards the workplace environment and employment.
Nail Technician in a Beauty Salon, Nail Bar, Nail Technician on Cruise ships e.g. Steiner, Skincare Expert in a Beauty Salon or on a Skincare counter, Self-employed/Mobile Nail Technician, Product trainer, Sales Representative, Retail Industry. I.T.E.C is an International Qualification with which students can work abroad.