- Business Administration Skills 5N1610– Examine a range of recruitment options for selecting and appointing staff and current employment rights legislation. Maintain a range of documents pertaining to HR management and employees including employment contracts, attendance records etc. Explore sources of finance for a business including cash-flow. Examine different types of meetings held and complete a range of documentation necessary for the effective function of a meeting. Explain the role of quality systems.
- Reception and Front Line Skills 5N1407– Learn about displaying a professional approach to receiving visitors and using effective customer service skills, upkeep of visitors logbook, dealing with complaints. Apply a range of general administrative skills within the reception and/or front office context to include booking and preparing for conference, organising visitors waiting area, arranging appointments, preparing an itinerary, making reservations, providing information to visitors etc.
- Desktop Publishing 5N0785 – This module offers a lot of skills appropriate for the jobs offered today by many companies. Enhance your CV with an internationally recognized qualification and the practical skills that employers across all sectors look for in potential employees! This module offers a lot of skills appropriate for the jobs offered today by many companies. This will enable you to produce creative and innovative printed documents such as newsletters, letterheads, business cards, magazines, posters as well as electronic formats and other printed materials. You will learn to identify and choose appropriate fonts for your project, select, import and manipulate graphics and format pages appropriate for presentation. We will also examine the legal implications associated with use and protection of published material including licencing and copyright. So, explore and discover your potential as a becoming a successful graphic designer.
- Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Word Processing 5N1385 – Learn to produce professional mailable document. Learn file management and a host of functions including clipart, headers, footers, watermarks, graphics, tabs etc.
- Bookkeeping Manual and Computerised 5N1354 – Learn to record business transactions , post to ledgers and draw up a trial balance using both a manual accounting system and a computerised package.
- Digital Presentations 5N0653 – Design, create and deliver a presentation to include Clip art, video clips, hyperlinks, animation effects and apply transitions and timings for slides. Evaluate the implications of the choice of venue to include lighting, room size, power points, audience size etc.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Data Protection (online training): This course gives learners an overview of GDPR. The workshop examines what GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data. A record of achievement from Morrison’s Island Campus is issued on successful completion.
- Microsoft Outlook (online training): This course demonstrates how to use the internet to compose, send, receive and store electronic mail to include attaching a file to an email and managing email folders. It also facilitates the learner to explore areas related to browser-based email systems including demonstrating the use of at least one current email software package for example: compose, send, receive, reply, forward, print, store electronic messages and open file attachments, attach a file to an email message and create and manage mailboxes and transfer messages to and from relevant mailboxes. Furthermore, learners develop an appreciation of email etiquette as regards: content, length, style and tone of composed messages and they set up a web-based email account. A record of achievement from Morrison’s Island Campus is issued on successful completion.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progressions opportunities including:
- MTU Cork: Business Studies (MTU550)
- UCC: Commerce (CK201)
- Morrison’s Island Campus: Progress to 1 of the Morrison’s Island Campus Advanced Business Specialisms, subject to entry requirements being met.
Great progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and SETU(Waterford & Carlow) for preferential entry for students of Morrisons Island locations. See Progressions for details.
Any business office environment. Past students have been employed in numerous administrative positions such as Retail Solutions, accountants, medical practices, solicitors, auctioneers etc.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €300 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €50). See payment for details.
- Certification: QQI Level 5 Certificate in Business Administration 5M2468
- Work Experience: Students undertake work placement one day per week in an office/business environment.