- Maternity Care Support 5N3746 – Learn the skills necessary to work effectively as part of a maternity care team. Demonstrate a range of clinically related skills, to include preparation of clinical areas and trolleys for maternal and infant care procedures, assistance of clinical staff in physical examinations. Exercise appropriate responses to identified emergency situations experienced by mother or infant. Describe the grief process in those affected by miscarriage, still birth, neonatal or maternal death.
- Care Skills 5N2770 – Understand the holistic care of a client over the full life span from birth to death, including areas such as disabilities, mental health, care of the older person and palliative care. Practical instruction in washing, feeding, mobilisation, toileting and grooming. End of life care is included as part of the holistic care.
- Human Growth & Development 5N1279 – Learn psychology throughout the lifespan, how we grow, learn develop and change throughout our lives. Understand factors that affect development throughout the lifespan. Develop interpersonal/interactive skills appropriate to responding to the needs of others.
- Anatomy & Physiology 5N0749 – learn the structure of the various systems within the human body e.g. digestive, system, respiratory system, nervous system, skeletal system etc. and how they work. Develop an understanding of the interrelationships that exit between these systems.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation, and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Nursing Theory and Practice 5N4325 – Develop an understanding of the caring skills, knowledge and accountability required by a professional nurse, including safe patient handling and measurement and accurate recording of temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure and fluid balance. The link between theory and practice is constant and using the Nursing Process and the Roper, Logan and Tierney model of nursing as guides the student learns the importance of client centre care and inclusivity.
- Infection Prevention & Control 5N3734 – Learn how to prevent the spread of infection in the healthcare setting including hand hygiene and standard precautions. Practical instruction in all aspects of practice including cleaning following blood borne spillage and terminal cleaning.
Additional Training/ Workshops
National New-born Bloodspot screening training – The aim of this education is to equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to successfully carry out all aspects of new-born bloodspot screening within Cork University Maternity Hospital. A certificate will be issued to learners who successfully complete this education, skill and competency.
People Moving and Handling Certification (requirement for work experience) – Manual handling training is required under Regulation 13 of the 1993 (General Application Regulations) and 1993 Manual Handling Regulations. This training programme is aimed at providing all persons at work with proper techniques when lifting, carrying, loading, pushing and supporting. It provides employees with good work practices such as proper lift Manual Handling Techniques. The course includes being aware of the necessity for safe methods of manual handling to reduce the risk of injury and understanding the need to avoid manual handling by using mechanical aids where possible. Furthermore, assessing the task using the TILE criteria (task, individual, load, environment) and implementing the correct method of lifting ensuring minimal risk to self and co-workers will also be included. Finally, knowing how to safely execute all relevant workplace manual handling tasks will be demonstrated. A certificate will be issued to learners who successfully complete the course.
HSE Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk Certificate (requirement for work experience) – Its primary focus is to inform learners on the guiding practice and procedures to keep vulnerable adults safe in the community and residential settings. The content includes learners being informed of their safeguarding responsibilities, the different types of abuse and neglect and how to recognise them and how to report concerns in line with HSE guidelines. All students receive a certificate on completion at the end of the course.
First Aid Workshop (online): – This workshop is designed to enable the learner to understand the responsibilities of the first aider. Provide treatment for the purpose of preserving life or minimising the consequences of injury until discharge or the arrival of medical assistance, provide treatment for an injury which does not require the attention of medical personnel, the treatment of a patient with breathing difficulty and/or cardiac arrest and the operation of AED defibrillators for Adult, Child and Infants and deal with heart attack, angina and many other emergencies that may occur. On completion of the workshop and assessment, successful participants will receive a Certificate in Basic First Aid which is valid for two years.
Heartsaver CPR AED Course – The Irish Heart Foundation’s Heartsaver CPR AED Course is ideal for anyone who wants to learn CPR and how to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED). The complete Heartsaver AED Course takes approximately 3 hours to complete the full course and teaches the basic techniques of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), how to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and the relief of choking for adults, children, and infants. Participant who can demonstrate high quality CPR at the end of the course will receive an IHF/AHA Heartsaver AED course completion card which is valid for two years.
The following courses will be undertaken prior to going on work placement and will be completed through HSELand
- An introduction to Children First
- HSE Open Disclosure
- Cyber Security Awareness
- Dignity at work
- Making Every Contact Count
- (PCHCAI )Prevention and Control of HealthCare Associated Infections
Baby Security – this will be delivered by the Centre of Midwifery Education centre prior to work experience.
Fire Safety: This Fire Safety training course helps you to comply with the Fire Safety Regulations 2005. This Course covers basic fire safety training, fire extinguisher training, fire risk assessment training and fire warden training. The participant will learn to recognise the hazards that may lead to a fire, and how to react safely and responsibly in the event of one breaking out. Our aim is to inform Fire Wardens of their responsibilities in running a fire drill effectively and safely. It also details the steps involved in developing an Emergency Plan for the workplace. The course includes an introduction to fire safety and to the legal framework Additionally, responsibilities, Fire science and Fire risk assessment are outlined. Furthermore, how do people react in an emergency, the different classes of fire and types of fire extinguishers and equipment and their use. Emergency plans and evacuation, movement of people and Hazard Analysis is also discussed. On completion of the course and assessment, participants will receive a Certification which is valid for 3 years.
Leaving Certificate with five subjects at grade O6/H7, with Ordinary Level Maths (grade O6 preferable). Leaving Certificate Biology is considered an advantage. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. CERFL proficiency at B2 for access to Level 5 courses for those whose first language is not English. All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. This may be followed by an interview conducted by a campus and CUMH team member. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage and interview. Places are limited in this course.
Note: This course requires students to be Garda vetted. Prospective students should also be aware that some aspects of this course are physically demanding and should satisfy themselves that they are physically fit enough to undertake it
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- All Nursing degree programmes in Ireland
- Nursing degrees in England (including Kingston University, Southampton University)
- Nursing degrees in Wales (including Swansea University, University of South Wales)
- Nursing degrees in Scotland (including University of Stirling, Queen Margaret University Edinburgh)
- MTU Cork: Social Care Work (MT573)
Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork, MTU Kerry and SETU (Waterford & Carlow) for preferential entry for students of Morrisons Island locations for some courses. Excellent progression opportunities in Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales. See Progressions for details
Maternity Hospitals, Healthcare environments
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €300 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €50). Extra €250 approx. for kits, vaccinations and certain course materials. See Payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Nursing Studies 5M4349
- QQI Component Maths (5N1833) – available as option in evening for learners needing Maths for progression)
- Work Experience: Students will undertake a work placement of a minimum of 150 hours in CUMH or another maternity hospital. The work placement is part of the partnership with CUMH and students will be assigned placement. Garda vetting is an integral part of the application procedure for this course. Hepatitis B and flu vaccinations (others may be required in individual settings) are required for work experience in a healthcare setting. Applicants should be aware that healthcare environments used in work experience may insist that students are fully vaccinated for Covid 19.