FAQ – Hospitality Studies

What are the entry requirements?2022-05-01T12:14:00+01:00

Leaving cert standard (regular Leaving Cert or LCA) for students under 21 years. Experience in the area or a genuine passion for hospitality and relevant work experience in the area is beneficial for mature students.

How long does the course run for?2022-05-01T12:18:32+01:00

The course will run from mid-September to the following mid-May. It is a full-time day course.

The college closes for Mid-term, Christmas and Easter holidays as determined by the Department of Education and Skills.

How many people are likely to be in my class?2022-05-01T12:32:48+01:00

There are usually 15 students for practical class and 30 for theory classes, but it depends on demand each year.

What options are available to me if I complete the course?2022-05-01T12:34:52+01:00

Students who successfully complete the course and obtain a full award may progress to MTU or any other IT continue their studies.

Some students obtain full time employment.

Other go onto complete a Level 6 Commis Chef Apprenticeship with Training Centre.

When will I get an of offer of a place if I am successful?2022-05-01T12:26:05+01:00

Applicants who complete & return the processing form before June 1st will receive offers by email before June 3rd. All applications made over the summer months will be processed in August and applicants will be notified late August/early September.

How much does the course cost?2022-05-01T12:15:21+01:00

The course costs is €350, this is reduced by €50, if one is the holder of a valid medical card. Successful VTOS applicants must only pay the materials fee. NON- EU FEE €3,654 + €350.

Are there any other costs involved?2022-05-01T12:16:32+01:00

Yes, students will be required to purchase a uniform at a cost of €90 approx.

Is Work Experience/Placement organised by the College or do I have to find my own?2022-05-01T12:24:25+01:00

Work Experience/Placement is mandatory for this course. Students are generally required to source their own work placement. If students need assistance placements will be organised for the student. The work placement for this course is a minimum of 40 days, which is completed in industry, in the production kitchen & training restaurant.

Does the course offer a Student Visa for International Students?2022-05-01T12:27:03+01:00

No. Please note that it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that they meet Immigration and Visa requirements prior to applying for a place on a course. Post Leaving Certificate courses are not eligible to obtain a study visa to enter the state. Further details are available at www.icosirl.ie.

Is Hospitality Studies a full-time day course, online or in-person?2022-05-01T12:17:44+01:00

It is an in-person course, delivered on-site within the classroom.

How many days a week in college must I attend?2022-05-01T12:35:44+01:00

Students attend College 4/5 days per week. Starting times may be later than 9.00am and finishing times may be earlier than 5.00pm.

Individual class timetables are not available until Induction (usually 1st or 2nd week in September).

When do exams take place?2022-05-01T12:36:56+01:00

Normally some exams take place in December and at the end of the academic year – end of April/beginning of May.

The subject teacher and exam secretary will advise and notify learners about exam dates and times.

What do I need to do to get a place on the course?2022-05-01T12:25:26+01:00

Firstly, students need to apply to www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie and complete an application online, following this they are sent a processing form. This form asks applicants more questions regarding the reasons for applying for the course.

Who can I contact about this course?2022-05-01T12:27:50+01:00

Any queries, please contact: Catherine O’Donovan on 021-4223815 or email codonovan@ccoc.ie.

Go to Top