- Fashion & Media Make-Up 5N4627/ITEC – Learn all aspects of makeup design & application for Fashion shows & photographic work – professional photoshoots are part of this module.
- Period and Theatrical Make-Up 5N4632/ITEC– Explore the history of Makeup & specialised applications used for theatrical looks including pantomime, ageing and character transformations.
- Postiche 5N4633 – Learn the art of hair-piece making to include making a bespoke beard/moustache for an individual.
- Retail Selling 5N1619 – Learn the technologies currently used in the retail sector including cash registers, bar code scanners, stock security devices etc. Learn about customer loyalty, merchandising, retail ethics and training and communication skills.Learn how to open and close a sale, deal with complaints or present alternative products.
- Specialised Make-Up Effects 5N4634/ITEC – Understand specialised areas of Makeup Artistry required for the Film, Television, Theatre & Photographic industries. Make bespoke pieces to create special effects e.g. bald-caps, realistic aging, scarring, wounds, burns, bruising, effects & pieces to create different shapes to an actors appearance e.g. alien or animal effects.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Customer Service 5N0972 – Apply the personal skills, qualities and attitudes required to perform effectively when dealing with customers. Handle a range of challenging situations, demonstrate team or group work in providing customer care. Look at practical examples of organisations with good customer care and their success.
- Professional Conduct and Business Awareness ITEC-learn about elements required for the work place and when running a business in the Makeup Artistry Industry, subjects include business, health & safety
- Infection Prevention (COVID-19) for Make-Up Services – ITEC
- CCOC Phorest Salon Software Certificate: Phorest Salon Software is an all-in platform that helps salon owners manage their appointments, clients, stock, and staff. It also has key features for marketing and social media to enable a salon to grow to its full potential. At the Cork College of Commerce, we offer our learners an introductory course in this software. This includes how to manage appointments and therapists, couple and group bookings. Additionally, beauty salon consultation forms, customer tracking, beauty salon marketing and selling and purchasing are also included.
- Data Protection: This workshop gives learners an overview of GDPR. The workshop examines what GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data..
- First Aid workshop: This First Aid workshop will introduce the learner to the principles of First Aid. On successful completion of this course you will be a vital link in the chain of survival. The course includes identifying the role and responsibilities of the first Aider, understanding the principles of infection control. In addition, learners will describe and demonstrate how to assess a casualty- by conducting an initial check, physical examination, by obtaining a SAMPLE history, assessing levels of Response (AVPU) and identifying problems that are an immediate threat to life. Finally, learners will describe the requirements for a handover to other health care practitioners.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature applicants are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. Applicants will need to demonstrate an interest in Make-Up Artistry at interview and must bring with them a portfolio of make-up work completed by them as evidence of their interest. This should include at least 5 photographs of theatrical or fashion (e.g. debs or wedding) style work. All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- Institute of Art, Design and Technology (IADT) Dun Laoghaire DL830, BA Design for Stage and Screen (Make-Up Design)
- Southhampton Solent University – BA (Hons) Makeup & Hair Design
See Progressions for full progression details.
Free-Lance Makeup Artist, Theatrical Makeup Artist, Film/Television Makeup Artist, Product trainer, Sales Representative, Retail Industry. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €492 – this cost includes ITEC and QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €50). Approx. €1,200 for uniforms, kits and certain course materials which will be paid directly to suppliers on registration day. See Payment for details.
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Fashion, Theatre and Media Make-Up 603/4049/6 (2128)
- QQI Level 5 Make-Up Artistry Award 5M5265
- Work Experience: Students undertake work placement one day per week in a retail/theatre/fashion environment for the duration of the year, which they organise themselves.
- Click here to view the prospectus page.