- Business Law 6N4045 – Develops an understanding of the important legal issues which may arise in the modern commercial environment. Explore a diverse range of commercial legal topics including company, consumer and property law.
- Business Management 6N4310 – understand the role and function of management in a business environment. Gain a detailed picture of the management of planning, organising and controlling. Develop effective management skills such as leadership and communications.
- Communications 6N1950 – builds on the core communications skills gained at level 5 while allowing the learner, working independently and or in a supervisory capacity, to develop such qualities as tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience necessary for communicating with staff/clients in a professional setting.
- Finance 6N4165 – Learn to understand the financial statements of an organisation by preparing a detailed financial report using key accounting ratios. Understand costing systems such as absorption and marginal costing. Prepare financial budgets and evaluate capital expenditure projects in order to provide management with information for decision making.
- Sales and Marketing Management 6N3613 – Devise an after sales service policy for an organisation including interpersonal skills required when dealing with a dissatisfied customer and how new sales opportunities can be created from after sales service. Design sales management techniques to meet the needs of a range of organisations to include appropriate marketing and selling key performance indicators. Estimate the budgets and forecasting for sales and marketing plan.
- Spreadsheets 6N4089 – Develop an advanced working knowledge using multiple worksheets, formulas and functions in a Spreadsheet application for many practical uses at work and at home
- Work Experience 6N1946 – Present a detailed personal skills audit and career plan including personal goals, action points, development opportunities and career paths. Demonstrate supervisory skills and capacities in the workplace.
- Professional Presentation 6N4006 – Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence of presentation software and communication skills that can be used in a business and training environment.
- Enterprise event/ Guest Speakers – An Enterprise event is held annually with talks and workshops from the LEO (Local Enterprise Office), MTU Rubicon Centre, and local entrepreneurs who share their experience with students about their journey. Throughout the year speakers from business and industry visit the college and share insights about the changing landscape of business and commerce and how best to prepare for the future of work.
- Individual support available to build digital skills – Workshops and one-to-one support are offered to students around digital skill development. There is a thorough introduction to our on-line learning platform at the beginning of the academic year, and further support during the year on all aspects of Office 365 and any other packages being used.
Full QQI level 5 award in Business Studies/Administration or other relevant award. It is desirable that Spreadsheet Methods is included. All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- UCC: Commerce (CK201) Year 2 Entry
- MTU Cork: Business (MT550) Year 2 entry
- MTU Kerry: Business (MT941) Year 2 Entry
Other excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and SETU (Waterford & Carlow) for preferential entry for students of Morrison’s Island locations. See Progressions for details.
Financial Services, Accounts Assistant, Customer Service/Marketing Representative, Retail, Office/Business Administrator.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €330 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €80). See payment for details.
- QQI Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
- Work Experience: Students will undertake work experience one day per week in a business / administration setting for the duration of the course, which they source themselves. Students will be advised of suitable settings where they can source work experience. A college based simulated office is available to help students’ transition to the world of work.