- Business Management 6N4310 – understand the role and function of management in a business environment. Gain a detailed picture of the management of planning, organising and controlling. Develop effective management skills such as leadership and communications.
- Work Experience 6N1946 – Present a detailed personal skills audit and career plan including personal goals, action points, development opportunities and career paths. Demonstrate supervisory skills and capacities in the workplace.
- Communications 6N1950 – builds on the core communications skills gained at level 5 while allowing the learner, working independently and or in a supervisory capacity, to develop such qualities as tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience necessary for communicating with staff/clients in a professional setting.
- Business Law 6N4045 – Develops an understanding of the important legal issues which may arise in the modern commercial environment. Explore a diverse range of commercial legal topics including company, consumer and property law.
- Marketing Communications 6N4370 – Develop an advertising campaign to include setting objectives, identifying target audience, determining budget. Analyse how effective database marketing can improve customer relationships including the impact of the internet, mobile communications and social media as direct marketing tools. Research public relations to include the various PR tools and their effectiveness.
- Spreadsheets 6N4089 – Develop an advanced working knowledge using multiple worksheets, formulas and functions in a Spreadsheet application for many practical uses at work and at home.
- Employment Law 6N4322 – Evaluate the role of employment legislation and institutions in combatting discrimination and harassment to promote equality in the workplace. Apply a comprehensive range of specialised skills and tools to the contract of employment for a range of employee categories/scenarios including terms and conditions, pay and pension etc. Understand collective bargaining and evaluate the role and function of labour relations institutions and trade unions.
- Professional Presentation 6N4006 – Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence of presentation software and communication skills that can be used in a business and training environment.
- Data Protection: This Data Protection Workshop gives learners an overview of GDPR. The workshop examines what GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data.
- Professional Styling and Image: This workshop offers an insight into grooming and styling for the professional world. It covers a wide range of topics such as dressing for your shape, colour analysis and making the most of your wardrobe. Essential for those going on work experience or job interview.
- Individual support available to build Word Processing and Spreadsheet skills.
Full QQI level 5 award in Business Studies/Administration or other relevant award. It is desirable that Spreadsheet Methods is included. All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- UCC: Law (CK301)
- MTU Cork: Business (MT550) Year 2 entry
- MTU Kerry: Business (MT941) Year 2 Entry
Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Legal secretary, legal researcher, paralegal work and general administration.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €330 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €80). See payment for details.
- QQI Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
- Work Experience: Students will undertake work experience one day per week in a business/administration setting for the duration of the course, which they source themselves. A college based simulated office is available to help students transition to the world of work.
- Click here to view the prospectus page.